Re: POC: GROUP BY optimization

От Andrei Lepikhov
Тема Re: POC: GROUP BY optimization
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 4/12/24 06:44, Tom Lane wrote:
> * I'm pretty unconvinced by group_keys_reorder_by_pathkeys (which
> I notice has already had one band-aid added to it since commit).
> In particular, it seems to believe that the pathkeys and clauses
> lists match one-for-one, but I seriously doubt that that invariant
> remains guaranteed after the cleanup steps
>
>      /* append the remaining group pathkeys (will be treated as not sorted) */
>      *group_pathkeys = list_concat_unique_ptr(new_group_pathkeys,
>                                               *group_pathkeys);
>      *group_clauses = list_concat_unique_ptr(new_group_clauses,
>                                              *group_clauses);
>
> For that to be reliable, the SortGroupClauses added to
> new_group_clauses in the main loop have to be exactly those
> that are associated with the same pathkeys in the old lists.
> I doubt that that's necessarily true in the presence of redundant
> grouping clauses.  (Maybe we can't get here with any redundant
> grouping clauses, but still, we don't really guarantee uniqueness of
> SortGroupClauses, much less that they are never copied which is what
> you need if you want to believe that pointer equality is sufficient
> for de-duping here.  PathKeys are explicitly made to be safe to compare
> pointer-wise, but I know of no such guarantee for SortGroupClauses.)
I spent a lot of time inventing situations with SortGroupClause
duplicates. Unfortunately, it looks impossible so far. But because we
really don't guarantee uniqueness, I changed the code to survive in this
case. Also, I added assertion checking to be sure we don't have logical
mistakes here - see attachment.
About the band-aid mentioned above - as I see, 4169850 introduces the
same trick in planner.c. So, it looks like result of design of the
current code.

--
regards,
Andrei Lepikhov

Вложения

От: Nathan Bossart
Сообщение: Re: An improved README experience for PostgreSQL
От: Thomas Munro
Сообщение: Solaris tar issues, or other reason why margay fails 010_pg_basebackup?