Re: patch to allow disable of WAL recycling

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: patch to allow disable of WAL recycling
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 3/6/19 11:30 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 10:55 AM Andrew Dunstan
> <andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>>> I *really* dislike this.  For one thing, it means that users don't
>>> have control over the behaviors individually.  For another, the
>>> documentation is now quite imprecise about what the option actually
>>> does, while expecting users to figure out whether those behaviors are
>>> acceptable or preferable in their environment.  It lists recycling of
>>> WAL files and zero-filling of those files as examples of behavior
>>> changes, but it does not say that those are the only changes, or even
>>> that they are made in all cases.
>> So you want two options, like wal_recycle_files and wal_zero_fill, both
>> defaulting to true? Is there a reasonably use case for turning one off
>> without the other?
> I don't know whether there's a use case for that, and that's one of
> the things that worries me.  I know, though, that if we have two
> parameters, then if there is a use case for it, people will be able to
> meet that use case without submitting a patch.  On the other hand, if
> we had convincing evidence that those two things should always go
> together, that would be fine, too.  But I don't see that anyone has
> made an argument that such a thing is necessarily true outside of ZFS.
>
> I actually wouldn't find it very surprising if disabling WAL recycling
> is sometimes beneficial even on ext4.  The fact that we haven't found
> such cases on this thread doesn't mean they don't exist.  On the other
> hand I think the wal_zero_fill behavior is not about performance but
> about reliability, so you can't afford to turn that on just because
> non-recycling happens to be faster on your machine.

Well, let's put the question another way. Is there any reason to allow
skipping zero filling if we are recycling? That seems possibly
dangerous. I can imagine turning off recycling but leaving on
zero-filling, although I don't have a concrete use case for it ATM.

cheers

andrew

Сообщение: Re: patch to allow disable of WAL recycling
Сообщение: Re: patch to allow disable of WAL recycling