Re: Consider parallel for lateral subqueries with limit

От Brian Davis
Тема Re: Consider parallel for lateral subqueries with limit
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Note that near the end of grouping planner we have a similar check:
>
> if (final_rel->consider_parallel && root->query_level > 1 &&
>         !limit_needed(parse))
>
> guarding copying the partial paths from the current rel to the final
> rel. I haven't managed to come up with a test case that exposes that

Played around with this a bit, here's a non-correlated subquery that gets us to that if statement

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS foo;
CREATE TABLE foo (bar int);

INSERT INTO foo (bar)
SELECT
FROM
  generate_series(1, 10000) AS g;

SELECT
  (
    SELECT
      bar
    FROM
      foo
    LIMIT 1
  ) AS y
FROM
  foo;

I also was thinking about the LATERAL part.

I couldn't think of any reason why the uncorrelated subquery's results would need to be shared and therefore the same,
whenwe'll be "looping" over each row of the source table, running the subquery anew for each, conceptually.

But then I tried this...

test=# CREATE TABLE foo (bar int);
CREATE TABLE
test=#
test=# INSERT INTO foo (bar)
test-# SELECT
test-#   g
test-# FROM
test-#   generate_series(1, 10) AS g;
INSERT 0 10
test=#
test=#
test=# SELECT
test-#   foo.bar,
test-#   lat.bar
test-# FROM
test-#   foo JOIN LATERAL (
test(#     SELECT
test(#       bar
test(#     FROM
test(#       foo AS foo2
test(#     ORDER BY
test(#       random()
test(#     LIMIT 1
test(#   ) AS lat ON true;
 bar | bar
-----+-----
   1 |   7
   2 |   7
   3 |   7
   4 |   7
   5 |   7
   6 |   7
   7 |   7
   8 |   7
   9 |   7
  10 |   7
(10 rows)

As you can see, random() is only called once.  If postgres were supposed to be running the subquery for each source
row,conceptually, it would be a mistake to cache the results of a volatile function like random().

The docs say: "When a FROM item contains LATERAL cross-references, evaluation proceeds as follows: for each row of the
FROMitem providing the cross-referenced column(s), or set of rows of multiple FROM items providing the columns, the
LATERALitem is evaluated using that row or row set's values of the columns. The resulting row(s) are joined as usual
withthe rows they were computed from. This is repeated for each row or set of rows from the column source table(s)."

They don't say what happens with LATERAL when there aren't cross-references though.  As we expect, adding one does show
random()being called once for each source row.

test=# SELECT
test-#   foo.bar,
test-#   lat.bar
test-# FROM
test-#   foo JOIN LATERAL (
test(#     SELECT
test(#       bar
test(#     FROM
test(#       foo AS foo2
test(#     WHERE
test(#       foo2.bar < foo.bar + 100000
test(#     ORDER BY
test(#       random()
test(#     LIMIT 1
test(#   ) AS lat ON true;
 bar | bar
-----+-----
   1 |   5
   2 |   8
   3 |   3
   4 |   4
   5 |   5
   6 |   5
   7 |   1
   8 |   3
   9 |   7
  10 |   3
(10 rows)

It seems like to keep the same behavior that exists today, results of LATERAL subqueries would need to be the same if
theyaren't correlated, and so you couldn't run them in parallel with a limit if the order wasn't guaranteed.  But I'll
bethe first to admit that it's easy enough for me to miss a key piece of logic on something like this, so I could be
wayoff base too.