Re: Parallel CREATE INDEX for BRIN indexes

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: Parallel CREATE INDEX for BRIN indexes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 4/16/24 22:33, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> On 4/15/24 20:35, Tomas Vondra wrote:
>> On 4/15/24 10:18, Tomas Vondra wrote:

> That is, no parallel index builds on temporary tables. Which means the
> test is not actually testing anything :-( Much more stable, but not very
> useful for finding issues.
>
> I think the best way to stabilize the test is to just not delete the
> rows. That means we won't have any "empty" ranges (runs of pages without
> any tuples).

I just pushed a revert and a patch to stabilize the test in a different
way - Matthias mentioned to me off-list that DELETE is not the only way
to generate empty ranges in a BRIN index, because partial indexes have
the same effect. After playing with that a bit, that seems to work fine
(works with parallel builds, not affected by cleanup), so done that way.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company