Re: [HACKERS] WIP: Data at rest encryption

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: [HACKERS] WIP: Data at rest encryption
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 6/13/17 15:20, Stephen Frost wrote:
> No, the benefit is that the database administrator can configure it and
> set it up and not have to get an OS-level administrator involved.  There
> may also be other reasons why filesystem-level encryption is difficult
> to set up or use in a certain environment, but this wouldn't depend on
> anything OS-related and therefore could be done.

Let's see a proposal in those terms then.  How easy can you make it,
compared to existing OS-level solutions, and will that justify the
maintenance overhead?

Considering how ubiquitous file-system encryption is, I have my doubts
that the trade-offs will come out right, but let's see.