Re: Autovaccum

От Peter Childs
Тема Re: Autovaccum
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
On 30/11/06, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Ezequias Rodrigues da Rocha wrote:
> > Hi list,
> >
> > I would like to know if it is necessary to set my database to
> > autovaccum if the intent of my DB Manager is do not make any deletion
> > in any time.
> >
> > If there is no deletions why autovaccum ok ?
>
> You need to vacuum from time to time anyway, even if you don't delete
> anything.  The easiest way to do it is let autovacuum do it for you.

Complete Answer.

1. If you do any updates or deletes you need to vacuum.

2. If you do any update, deletes or inserts you need to analyse.

3. If you never change anything No Updates, No Inserts, No Deletes you
need to vacuum once ever 2 billion transactions due to wrap around if
you don't your data will disappear. But depending on how busy your
database is this could be once a year.

4. Auto Vacuum does all this automatically. Which is kind of useful.

5. You can do this manually via cron or by hand if you wish.

Peter.