Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL not setting OpenSSL session id context?

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL not setting OpenSSL session id context?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 07/31/2017 02:24 AM, Shay Rojansky wrote:
> Just to continue the above, I can confirm that adding a simple call
> to SSL_CTX_set_session_id_context() to be_tls_init() with some arbitrary
> const value fixes the error for me. Attached is a patch (ideally a test
> should be done for this, but that's beyond what I can invest at the moment,
> let me know if it's absolutely necessary).

I agree with Tom that we don't really want abbreviated SSL handshakes,
or other similar optimizations, to take place. PostgreSQL connections
are quite long-lived, so we have little to gain. But it makes the attack
surface larger. There have been vulnerabilities related to SSL
renegotiation, resumption, abbreviated handshakes, and all that.

I think we should actually call SSL_CTX_set_session_cache_mode(ctx,
SSL_SESS_CACHE_OFF), to disable session caching altogether. I'm not sure
if we still need to call SSL_CTX_set_session_cache_mode() if we do that.

I know next-to-nothing about .Net; is there some easy way to download a
.Net client application and test this?

- Heikki