Re: Set log_lock_waits=on by default

От Christoph Berg
Тема Re: Set log_lock_waits=on by default
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Re: Robert Haas
> I've definitely seen systems where this setting would have generated
> regular output, because I see a lot of systems that are chronically
> overloaded.

I'd argue this is exactly what I mean by "this system has a problem".
Telling the user about that makes sense.

> cautious about this than most people on this thread: log_checkpoints
> won't generate more than a few lines of output per checkpoint
> interval, and a checkpoint cycle will be on the order of minutes, so
> it's really never that much volume. On the other hand, in theory, this
> setting can generate arbitrarily many messages.

Well, it's still limited by 1 message per second (times
max_connections). It won't suddenly fill up the server with 1000
messages per second.

The log volume is the lesser of the problems. Not printing the message
just because the system does have a problem isn't the right fix.

> Finding the messages that indicate real database problems is typically
> quite difficult, even if they're all enabled. If they're disabled by
> default, well then the useless crap is the ONLY thing you find in the
> log file, and when the customer has a problem, the first thing you
> have to do is tell them to turn on all the GUCs that log the actually
> important stuff and wait until the problem recurs.
>
> I have yet to run into a customer who was thrilled about receiving that message.

Let's fix the default. People who have a problem can still disable it,
but then everyone else gets the useful messages in the first iteration.

Christoph