Re: improve performance of pg_dump with many sequences

От Nathan Bossart
Тема Re: improve performance of pg_dump with many sequences
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jul 17, 2024 at 11:30:04AM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> Yeah, I have bumped on the same issue.  In the long term, I also think
> that we'd better have pg_sequence_last_value() return a row with
> is_called and the value scanned.  As you say, it won't help except
> when upgrading from versions of Postgres that are at least to v18,
> assuming that this change gets in the tree, but that would be much
> better in the long term and time flies fast.

AFAICT pg_sequence_last_value() is basically an undocumented internal
function only really intended for use by the pg_sequences system view, so
changing the function like this for v18 might not be out of the question.
Otherwise, I think we'd have to create a strikingly similar function with
slightly different behavior, which would be a bizarre place to end up.

--
nathan