Re: Surround CheckRelation[Oid]LockedByMe() with USE_ASSERT_CHECKING

От Bertrand Drouvot
Тема Re: Surround CheckRelation[Oid]LockedByMe() with USE_ASSERT_CHECKING
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On Mon, Jul 01, 2024 at 05:01:46PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 01, 2024 at 06:42:46AM +0000, Bertrand Drouvot wrote:
> > While working on a rebase for [1] due to 0cecc908e97, I noticed that
> > CheckRelationLockedByMe() and CheckRelationOidLockedByMe() are used only in
> > assertions.
> >
> > I think it would make sense to declare / define those functions only for
> > assert enabled build: please find attached a tiny patch doing so.
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> Not convinced that's a good idea.  What about out-of-core code that
> may use these routines for runtime checks in non-assert builds?

Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah that could be an issue for CheckRelationLockedByMe() (CheckRelationOidLockedByMe()
is too recent to be a concern).

Having said that 1. out of core could want to use CheckRelationOidLockedByMe() (
probably if it was already using CheckRelationLockedByMe()) and 2. I just
submitted a rebase for [1] in which I thought that using
CheckRelationOidLockedByMe() would be a good idea.

So I think that we can get rid of this proposal.

[1]: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/ZoJ5RVtMziIa3TQp%40ip-10-97-1-34.eu-west-3.compute.internal

Regards,

--
Bertrand Drouvot