Re: Avoid orphaned objects dependencies, take 3

От Bertrand Drouvot
Тема Re: Avoid orphaned objects dependencies, take 3
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On Mon, Jun 17, 2024 at 05:57:05PM +0000, Bertrand Drouvot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Jun 17, 2024 at 12:24:46PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> > So to try to sum up here: I'm not sure I agree with this design. But I
> > also feel like the design is not as clear and consistently implemented
> > as it could be. So even if I just ignored the question of whether it's
> > the right design, it feels like we're a ways from having something
> > potentially committable here, because of issues like the ones I
> > mentioned in the last paragraph.
> >

> Agree. I'll now move on with the "XXX Do we need a lock for RelationRelationId?"
> comments that I put in v10 (see [1]) and study all the cases around them.

A. I went through all of them, did some testing for all, and reached the
conclusion that we must be in one of the two following cases that would already
prevent the relation to be dropped:

1. The relation is already locked (could be an existing relation or a relation
that we are creating).

2. The relation is protected indirectly (i.e an index protected by a lock on
its table, a table protected by a lock on a function that depends of
the table...).

So we don't need to add a lock if this is a RelationRelationId object class for
the cases above.

As a consequence, I replaced the "XXX" related comments that were in v10 by
another set of comments in v11 (attached) like "No need to call LockRelationOid()
(through LockNotPinnedObject())....". Reason is to make it clear in the code
and also to ease the review.

B. I explained in [1] (while sharing v10) that the object locking is now outside
of the dependency code except for (and I explained why):

recordDependencyOnExpr()
recordDependencyOnSingleRelExpr()
makeConfigurationDependencies()

So I also did some testing, on the RelationRelationId case, for those and I
reached the same conclusion as the one shared above.

For A. and B. the testing has been done by adding a "ereport(WARNING.." at
those places when a RelationRelationId is involved. Then I run "make check"
and went to the failed tests (output were not the expected ones due to the
extra "WARNING"), reproduced them with gdb and checked for the lock on the
relation producing the "WARNING". All of those were linked to 1. or 2.

Note that adding an assertion on an existing lock would not work for the cases
described in 2.

So, I'm now confident that we must be in 1. or 2. but it's also possible
that I've missed some cases (though I think the way the testing has been done is
not that weak).

To sum up, I did not see any cases that did not lead to 1. or 2., so I think
it's safe to not add an extra lock for the RelationRelationId case. If, for any
reason, there is still cases that are outside 1. or 2. then they may lead to
orphaned dependencies linked to the RelationRelationId class. I think that's
fine to take that "risk" given that a. that would not be worst than currently
and b. I did not see any of those in our fleet currently (while I have seen a non
negligible amount outside of the RelationRelationId case).

> Once done, I think that it will easier to 1.remove ambiguity, 2.document and
> 3.do the "right" thing regarding the RelationRelationId object class.

Please find attached v11, where I added more detailed comments in the commit
message and also in the code (I also removed the useless check on
AuthMemRelationId).

[1]: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/ZnAVEBhlGvpDDVOD%40ip-10-97-1-34.eu-west-3.compute.internal

Regards,

--