Re: Proposal for Updating CRC32C with AVX-512 Algorithm.

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Proposal for Updating CRC32C with AVX-512 Algorithm.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jun 18, 2024 at 01:20:50PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 18, 2024 at 05:14:08PM +0000, Amonson, Paul D wrote:
> > > And this bit doesn't look good.  The LICENSE file says:
> > > The second clause essentially says we would have to add a page to our
> > > "documentation and/or other materials" with the contents of the license file.
> >
> > According to one of Intel’s lawyers, 55 instances of this clause was found when they searched in the PostgreSQL
repository.Therefore, I assume that this obligation has either been satisfied or determined not to apply, given that
thesecond BSD clause already appears in the PostgreSQL source tree. I might have misunderstood the concern, but the
lawyerbelieves this is a non-issue. Could you please provide more clarifying details about the concern?

> Yes, I can confirm that:
>
>     grep -Rl 'Redistributions in binary form must reproduce' . | wc -l
>
> reports 54;  file list attached.

I am somewhat embarrassed by this since we made the Intel lawyers find
something that was in our own source code.

First, the "advertizing clause" in the 4-clause license:

     3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this
    software must display the following acknowledgement: This product
    includes software developed by the University of California,
    Berkeley and its contributors.

and was disavowed by Berkeley on July 22nd, 1999:

    https://elrc-share.eu/static/metashare/licences/BSD-3-Clause.pdf

While the license we are concerned about does not have this clause, it
does have:

     2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above
    copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following
    disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided
    with the distribution.

I assume that must also include the name of the copyright holder.

I think that means we need to mention The Regents of the University of
California in our copyright notice, which we do.  However several
non-Regents of the University of California copyright holder licenses
exist in our source tree, and accepting this AVX-512 patch would add
another one.  Specifically, I see existing entries for:

    Aaron D. Gifford
    Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois
    David Burren
    Eric P. Allman
    Jens Schweikhardt
    Marko Kreen
    Sun Microsystems, Inc.
    WIDE Project

Now, some of these are these names plus Berkeley, and some are just the
names above.