Re: use CREATE DATABASE STRATEGY = FILE_COPY in pg_upgrade

От Nathan Bossart
Тема Re: use CREATE DATABASE STRATEGY = FILE_COPY in pg_upgrade
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jun 11, 2024 at 10:39:51AM +0200, Matthias van de Meent wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jun 2024 at 04:01, Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I did a handful of benchmarks on an r5.24xlarge that seem to prove your
>> point.  The following are the durations of the pg_restore step of
>> pg_upgrade:
>>
>> * 10k empty databases, 128MB shared_buffers
>>   WAL_LOG:   1m 01s
>>   FILE_COPY: 0m 22s
>>
>> * 10k empty databases, 100GB shared_buffers
>>   WAL_LOG:   2m 03s
>>   FILE_COPY: 5m 08s
>>
>> * 2.5k databases with 10k tables each, 128MB shared_buffers
>>   WAL_LOG:   17m 20s
>>   FILE_COPY: 16m 44s
>>
>> * 2.5k databases with 10k tables each, 100GB shared_buffers
>>   WAL_LOG:   16m 39s
>>   FILE_COPY: 15m 21s
>>
>> I was surprised with the last result, but there's enough other stuff
>> happening during such a test that I hesitate to conclude much.
>
> If you still have the test data set up, could you test the attached
> patch (which does skip the checkpoints in FILE_COPY mode during binary
> upgrades)?

With your patch, I see the following:

* 10k empty databases, 128MB shared_buffers: 0m 27s
* 10k empty databases, 100GB shared_buffers: 1m 44s

I believe the reason the large buffer cache test is still quite a bit
slower is due to the truncation of pg_largeobject (specifically its call to
DropRelationsAllBuffers()).  This TRUNCATE command was added in commit
bbe08b8.

--
nathan