Re: Avoid orphaned objects dependencies, take 3

От Bertrand Drouvot
Тема Re: Avoid orphaned objects dependencies, take 3
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On Thu, May 23, 2024 at 02:10:54PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, May 23, 2024 at 12:19 AM Bertrand Drouvot
> <bertranddrouvot.pg@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The reason why we are using a dirty snapshot here is for the cases where we are
> > recording a dependency on a referenced object that we are creating at the same
> > time behind the scene (for example, creating a composite type while creating
> > a relation). Without the dirty snapshot, then the object we are creating behind
> > the scene (the composite type) would not be visible and we would wrongly assume
> > that it has been dropped.
>
> The usual reason for using a dirty snapshot is that you want to see
> uncommitted work by other transactions. It sounds like you're saying
> you just need to see uncommitted work by the same transaction. If
> that's true, I think using HeapTupleSatisfiesSelf would be clearer. Or
> maybe we just need to put CommandCounterIncrement() calls in the right
> places to avoid having the problem in the first place. Or maybe this
> is another sign that we're doing the work at the wrong level.

Thanks for having discussed your concern with Tom last week during pgconf.dev
and shared the outcome to me. I understand your concern regarding code
maintainability with the current approach.

Please find attached v9 that:

- Acquire the lock and check for object existence at an upper level, means before
calling recordDependencyOn() and recordMultipleDependencies().

- Get rid of the SNAPSHOT_SELF snapshot usage and relies on
CommandCounterIncrement() instead to ensure new entries are visible when
we check for object existence (for the cases where we create additional object
behind the scene: like composite type while creating a relation).

- Add an assertion in recordMultipleDependencies() to ensure that we locked the
object before recording the dependency (to ensure we don't miss any cases now that
the lock is acquired at an upper level).

A few remarks:

My first attempt has been to move eliminate_duplicate_dependencies() out of
record_object_address_dependencies() so that we get the calls in this order:

eliminate_duplicate_dependencies()
depLockAndCheckObjects()
record_object_address_dependencies()

What I'm doing instead in v9 is to rename record_object_address_dependencies()
to lock_record_object_address_dependencies() and add depLockAndCheckObjects()
in it at the right place. That way the caller of
[lock_]record_object_address_dependencies() is not responsible of calling
eliminate_duplicate_dependencies() (which would have been the case with my first
attempt).

We need to setup the LOCKTAG before calling the new Assert in
recordMultipleDependencies(). So, using "#ifdef USE_ASSERT_CHECKING" here to
not setup the LOCKTAG on a non Assert enabled build.

v9 is more invasive (as it changes code in much more places) than v8 but it is
easier to follow (as it is now clear where the new lock is acquired).

Regards,

--
Bertrand Drouvot
PostgreSQL Contributors Team