Re: First draft of PG 17 release notes

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: First draft of PG 17 release notes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, May 15, 2024 at 10:10:28AM +0900, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
> > I looked at that item and I don't have a generic "make logical
> > replication apply faster" item to merge it into, and many
> > subtransactions seemed like enough of an edge-case that I didn't think
> > mentioning it make sense.  Can you see a good place to add it?
>
> I think that since many subtransactions cases are no longer becoming
> edge-cases these days, we needed to improve that and it might be
> helpful for users to mention it. How about the following item for
> example?
>
> Improve logical decoding performance in cases where there are many
> subtransactions.

Okay, item added in the attached applied patch.

> > > Finally, should we mention the following commit in the release note?
> > > It's not a user-visible change but added a new regression test module.
> > >
> > > - Add tests for XID wraparound (e255b646a)
> >
> > I don't normally add testing infrastructure changes unless they are
> > major.
>
> I've seen we had such item, for example in PG14 release note:
>
> Add a test module for the regular expression package (Tom Lane)
>
> But if our policy has already changed, I'm okay with not mentioning
> the xid_wraparound test in the PG17 release note.

Uh, that PG 14 test suite was huge and flushed out a lot of bugs, not
only in our regex code but I think in the TCL/Henry Spencer regex
library we inherited.

We add 10-40 tests every year, and how many do I mention in the release
notes?  You had to go back to PG 14 to find one.  We have not changed
our release note "test item" criteria --- I only mention tests that are
significant to our userbase.  I think that test suite was significant to
anyone using the TCL/Henry Spencer regex library.

If you want your test mentioned, you have to explain why it is useful
for users to know about it, or the value it brings them.

Вложения