Re: Add SPLIT PARTITION/MERGE PARTITIONS commands

От Justin Pryzby
Тема Re: Add SPLIT PARTITION/MERGE PARTITIONS commands
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Apr 28, 2024 at 08:18:42AM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> > I will explore this.  Do we copy extended stats when we do CREATE
> > TABLE ... PARTITION OF?  I think we need to do the same here.
>
> Right, they're not copied because an extended stats objs on the parent
> does something different than putting stats objects on each child.
> I've convinced myself that it's wrong to copy the parent's stats obj.
> If someone wants stats objects on each child, they'll have to handle
> them specially after MERGE/SPLIT, just as they would for per-child
> defaults/constraints/etc.

I dug up this thread, in which the idea of copying extended stats from
parent to child was considered some 6 years ago, but never implemented;
for consistency, MERGE/SPLIT shouldn't copy extended stats, either.

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20180305195750.aecbpihhcvuskzba%40alvherre.pgsql

--
Justin