Re: PostgreSQL 17 Release Management Team & Feature Freeze

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: PostgreSQL 17 Release Management Team & Feature Freeze
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Apr  8, 2024 at 10:41:17AM -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
> Unfortunately many humans are hardwired towards procrastination and
> last minute heroics (it's one reason why deadline driven development
> works even though in the long run it tends to be bad practice), and
> historically was one of the driving factors in why we started doing
> commitfests in the first place (you should have seen the mad dash of
> commits before we had that process), so ISTM that it's not completely
> avoidable...
>
> That said, are you suggesting that the feature freeze deadline be
> random, and also held in secret by the RMT, only to be announced after
> the freeze time has passed? This feels weird, but might apply enough
> deadline related pressure while avoiding last minute shenanigans.

Committing code is a hard job, no question.  However, committers have to
give up the idea that they should wait for brilliant ideas before
finalizing patches.  If you come up with a better idea later, great, but
don't wait to finalize patches.

I used to write college papers much too late because I expected some
brilliant idea to come to me, and it rarely happened.  I learned to
write the paper with the ideas I had, and if I come up with a better
idea later, I can add it to the end.