Re: post-freeze damage control

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: post-freeze damage control
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Apr 09, 2024 at 09:35:00AM +1200, Thomas Munro wrote:
> Mr Paquier this year announced his personal code freeze a few weeks
> back on social media, which seemed like an interesting idea I might
> adopt.  Perhaps that is what some other people are doing without
> saying so, and perhaps the time they are using for that is the end of
> the calendar year.  I might still be naturally inclined to crunch-like
> behaviour, but it wouldn't be at the same time as everyone else,
> except all the people who follow the same advice.

That's more linked to the fact that I was going silent without a
laptop for a few weeks before the end of the release cycle, and a way
to say to not count on me, while I was trying to keep my room clean to
avoid noise for others who would rush patches.  It is a vacation
period for schools in Japan as the fiscal year finishes at the end of
March, while the rest of the world still studies/works, so that makes
trips much easier with areas being less busy when going abroad.  If
you want to limit commit activity during this period, the answer is
simple then: require that all the committers live in Japan.

Jokes apart, I really try to split commit effort across the year and
not rush things at the last minute.  If something's not agreed upon
and commit-ready by the 15th of March, the chances that I would apply
it within the release cycle are really slim.  That's a kind of
personal policy I have in place for a few years now.
--
Michael

Вложения