[MASSMAIL]Security lessons from liblzma

От Bruce Momjian
Тема [MASSMAIL]Security lessons from liblzma
Дата
Re: Security lessons from liblzma  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
Re: Security lessons from liblzma  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
Re: Security lessons from liblzma - libsystemd  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
Список pgsql-hackers
You might have seen reports today about a very complex exploit added to
recent versions of liblzma.  Fortunately, it was only enabled two months
ago and has not been pushed to most stable operating systems like Debian
and Ubuntu.  The original detection report is:

        https://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2024/03/29/4

And this ycombinator discussion has details:

        https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=39865810

        It looks like an earlier commit with a binary blob "test data"
        contained the bulk of the backdoor, then the configure script
        enabled it, and then later commits patched up valgrind errors
        caused by the backdoor. See the commit links in the "Compromised
        Repository" section.

and I think the configure came in through the autoconf output file
'configure', not configure.ac:

        This is my main take-away from this. We must stop using upstream
        configure and other "binary" scripts. Delete them all and run
        "autoreconf -fi" to recreate them. (Debian already does something
        like this I think.)

Now, we don't take pull requests, and all our committers are known
individuals, but this might have cautionary lessons for us.