Re: cpluspluscheck complains about use of register

От Christoph Berg
Тема Re: cpluspluscheck complains about use of register
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Re: Tom Lane
> > I hit this again while porting cplupluscheck to be invoked by meson as
> > well. ISTM that we should just remove the uses of register.
>
> OK by me.
>
> > I tried to use -Wregister to keep us honest going forward, but unfortunately
> > it only works with a C++ compiler...
>
> I think we only really care about stuff that cpluspluscheck would spot,
> so I don't feel a need to mess with the standard compilation flags.

This has started to hurt: postgresql-debversion (a Debian version number
data type written in C++) failed to build against Postgresql <= 15 on
Ubuntu's next LTS release (24.04):

In file included from /usr/include/postgresql/15/server/port/atomics.h:70:
/usr/include/postgresql/15/server/port/atomics/arch-x86.h:143:2: error: ISO C++17 does not allow 'register' storage
classspecifier [-Wregister]

  143 |         register char _res = 1;

I managed to work around it by putting `#define register` before
including the PG headers.

Should the removal of "register" be backported to support that better?

Christoph