Re: Filled Postgres server as Docker image

От Matthias Apitz
Тема Re: Filled Postgres server as Docker image
Дата
Список pgsql-general
El día viernes, enero 05, 2024 a las 11:31:34 +0100, Bernd Graf escribió:

> Hi,
>
> for development and testing (integration testing) I want to have a
> Docker image with a pre-filled Postgres database. It should be a simple
> and quick task to spin-up this database, e.g., in a docker compose setup.
>
> Suggested solutions to achieve this goal are
>
> (1) To place initialization scripts at /docker-entrypoint-initdb.d and
> do the filling of the DB when the container is started the first time ->
> I want to avoid this, as it takes 20 minutes

Interesting, I'm working on a similar project. Having a podman image,
with:

- SuSE SLES 15
- PostgreSQL 15.x server with loaded database
- starting a bunch of application server on top of the PostgreSQL
  server and offering there service on network sockets;
- and (ofc) having SSH into the image for debugging/testing;

I plan to have a similar PostgreSQL server outside the image, with
loaded database. Shut this down and create a tar archive of the full
server which then will be COPY'ed into the image at build time
and scripts in /entrypoint.d will arange everything.

    matthias

--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru@unixarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-176-38902045

I am not at war with Russia.  Я не воюю с Россией.
Ich bin nicht im Krieg mit Russland.