От Bertrand Drouvot
Тема Re: Synchronizing slots from primary to standby
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On Fri, Jan 05, 2024 at 10:00:53AM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 5, 2024 at 8:59 AM shveta malik <shveta.malik@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Jan 4, 2024 at 7:24 PM Bertrand Drouvot
> > <bertranddrouvot.pg@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > 4 ===
> > >
> > > Looking closer, the only place where walrcv_connect() is called with replication
> > > set to false and logical set to false is in ReplSlotSyncWorkerMain().
> > >
> > > That does make sense, but what do you think about creating dedicated libpqslotsyncwrkr_connect
> > > and slotsyncwrkr_connect (instead of using the libpqrcv_connect / walrcv_connect ones)?
> > >
> > > That way we could make use of slotsyncwrkr_connect() in ReplSlotSyncWorkerMain()
> > > as I think it's confusing to use "rcv" functions while the process using them is
> > > not of backend type walreceiver.
> > >
> > > I'm not sure that worth the extra complexity though, what do you think?
> >
> > I gave it a thought earlier, but then I was not sure even if I create
> > a new function w/o "rcv" in it then where should it be placed as the
> > existing file name itself is libpq'walreceiver'.c. Shall we be
> > creating a new file then? But it does not seem good to create a new
> > setup (new file, function pointers  other stuff) around 1 function.

Yeah...

> > And thus reusing the same function with 'replication' (new arg) felt
> > like a better choice than other options. If in future, there is any
> > other module trying to do the same, then it can use current
> > walrcv_connect() with rep=false. If I make it specific to slot-sync
> > worker, then it will not be reusable by other modules (if needed).

Yeah good point, it would need to be more generic.

> I agree that the benefit of creating a new API is not very clear.

Yeah, that would be more for cosmetic purpose (and avoid using a WalReceiverConn
while a PGconn could/should suffice).

> How
> about adjusting the description in the file header of
> libpqwalreceiver.c.

Agree, that seems to be a better option (not sure that building the new API is
worth the extra work).

Regards,

--
Bertrand Drouvot