Re: btree_gist into core?

От Julien Rouhaud
Тема Re: btree_gist into core?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On Wed, Jan 19, 2022 at 09:30:11AM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> To use exclusion constraints in practice, you often need to install the
> btree_gist extension, so that you can combine for example a range type check
> and normal scalar key columns into one constraint.
>
> [...]
>
> There are also of course questions about how to smoothly arrange upgrades
> from extensions to the built-in situations.

I'm not sure if that's what you were thinking of, but I know at least one
extension (that I'm maintaining) that explicitly relies on btree_gist
extension, as in "requires = [...], btree_gist" in the .control file.

Since you can't really tweak the control file on a per-major-version basis,
this will require some extra thoughts to make sure that people can release
extensions without having to tweak this file in some make rule or something
like that.