Re: Max effective number of CPUs that Postgresql can handle?

От Christoph Moench-Tegeder
Тема Re: Max effective number of CPUs that Postgresql can handle?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
## Ron Johnson (ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com):

> Like the Subject says, is there any point of diminishing returns at which
> the Postmaster gets "too busy" to manage all the threads?

It is possible to use 3-digit cores (i.e. 128, maybe more) quite
efficiently. The rest of the system has to fit the amount of compute,
else you end up with an unbalanced system. Also, not every workload
can benefit from this kind of machine. (then: cost of redundancy,
etc.).
I believe there was a benchmark (actual numbers, not just marketing)
done by PostgresPro on a largish Power machine, but I can't find
that right now.

Regards,
Christoph

--