Re: GUC names in messages

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: GUC names in messages
Дата
Re: GUC names in messages  (Peter Smith <smithpb2250@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Nov 27, 2023 at 10:04:35AM +1100, Peter Smith wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 24, 2023 at 8:53 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
>> Yeah.  Also, these could be changed to have the GUC name outside the
>> message proper, which would reduce the total number of messages.  (But
>> care must be given to the word "the" there.)
>
>  I had posted something similar a few posts back [1], but it just
> caused more questions unrelated to GUC name quotes so I abandoned that
> temporarily.

Yes, I kind of agree to let that out of the picture for the moment.
It would be good to reduce the translation chunks.

> So for now, I hope this thread can be only about quotes on GUC names,
> otherwise, I thought it may become stuck debating dozens of individual
> messages. Certainly later, or in another thread, we can revisit all
> messages again to try to identify/extract any "common" ones.

-HINT:  Perhaps you need a different "datestyle" setting.
+HINT:  Perhaps you need a different DateStyle setting.

Is the change for "datestyle" really required?  It does not betray the
GUC quoting policy added by 0001.

>> I think we could leave these improvements for a second round.  They
>> don't need to hold back the improvement we already have.
>
> I tried something for this already but kept it in a separate patch. See v2-0003

+                       underscore = true;

Is there a reason why we don't just use islower() or is that just to
get something entirely local independent?  I am not sure that it needs
to be that complicated.  We should just check that all the characters
are lower-case and apply quotes.
--
Michael

Вложения