Re: Local postgres manual

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Local postgres manual
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, Nov  3, 2023 at 03:58:05PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Ben Hancock <lists@benghancock.com> writes:
> > I will say that, as the manual is quite large, a local GNU Info version
> > would be great to be able to traverse different sections, etc, more
> > easily. If that doesn't exist already, I wonder if a tool like `pandoc`
> > could be employed to generate that.
>
> That's exactly what the postgres.txt file Bruce mentioned is.
>
> # single-page text
> postgres.txt: postgres.html
>     $(PANDOC) -t plain -o $@ $<
>
> These variant doc forms aren't terribly well (or at all) documented,
> but the doc/src/sgml Makefile knows how to create a number of them.

I tried:

    pandoc -t texinfo -o postgresql.info postgres.html

but couldn't figure out how to access it via 'info'.  I was able to get
the man page looking good with:

    make postgres.html &&
    pandoc -t man -o postgresql.1 postgres.html &&
    sed -n '1,${p;/^\.SH "NAME"/q}' /u/postgres/man/man1/postgres.1 |
            sed 's/POSTGRES/POSTGRESQL/' > /u/postgres/man/man1/postgresql.1 &&
    cat postgresql.1 >> /u/postgres/man/man1/postgresql.1 &&
    rm postgresql.1

I pulled the formatting from postgres.1;  without that the formatting
was 80-column and poor.  I think it doesn't define .TH and that makes it
look bad.