Re: Local postgres manual

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Local postgres manual
Дата
Re: Local postgres manual
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, Nov  3, 2023 at 09:39:46AM -0400, Philip Semanchuk wrote:

> > On Nov 3, 2023, at 9:18 AM, Ben Hancock <lists@benghancock.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all:
> >
> > Does Postgres come with a local, full version of the manual installed
> > by default anywhere (i.e. akin to what is available on the website, but
> > in man, info, or plain-text format)? When I invoke `man postgres`, I do
> > get a very useful - but limited - manual page, which has references to chapters. For example:
> >
> > OPTIONS
> >       postgres accepts the following command-line arguments. For a
> >       detailed discussion of the options consult Chapter 20. ...
> >
> > Of course, I can pull up a browser and find the manual, or consult a
> > local PDF if I have a graphical display. But sometimes it may be convenient to view the the manual for the version
ofPostgres that is on the system, right there. Does one exist?

> In addition to Bruce Momjian’s suggestion, I’ll add that you can make an HTML version of the manual from the source
code.This is what I use and it works great for me.

Yes, we can do HTML too as a single file, postgres.html.  What I don't
see is man page output for anything but the references pages, and as
separate files.  It might be possible to convert the HTML to man format
using something like html2man.