Re: pg_stat_get_activity(): integer overflow due to (int) * (int) for MemoryContextAllocHuge()

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: pg_stat_get_activity(): integer overflow due to (int) * (int) for MemoryContextAllocHuge()
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Sep 28, 2023 at 11:01:14AM +0200, Jakub Wartak wrote:
> v3 attached. I had a problem coming out with a better error message,
> so suggestions are welcome.  The cast still needs to be present as per
> above suggestion as 3GB is still valid buf size and still was causing
> integer overflow. We just throw an error on >= 4GB with v3.

+/* Safety net to prevent requesting huge memory by each query to pg_stat_activity */
+#define PGSTAT_MAX_ACTIVITY_BUF_SIZE 4 * 1024 * 1024 * 1024L

-    size = add_size(size,
-                    mul_size(pgstat_track_activity_query_size, NumBackendStatSlots));
+    pgstat_track_size = mul_size(pgstat_track_activity_query_size,
+                    NumBackendStatSlots);
+    if(pgstat_track_size >= PGSTAT_MAX_ACTIVITY_BUF_SIZE)
+        elog(FATAL, "too big Backend Activity Buffer allocation of %zu bytes", pgstat_track_size);
+    size = add_size(size, pgstat_track_size);

That should be enough to put in a hardcoded 4GB safety limit, while
mul_size() detects it at a higher range.  Note, however, that elog()
is only used for internal errors that users should never face, but
this one can come from a misconfiguration.  This would be better as an
ereport(), with ERRCODE_CONFIG_FILE_ERROR as errcode, I guess.

"Backend Activity Buffer" is the name of the internal struct.  Sure,
it shows up on the system views for shmem, but I wouldn't use this
term in a user-facing error message.  Perhaps something like "size
requested for backend status is out of range" would be cleaner.  Other
ideas are welcome.
--
Michael

Вложения