Re: BUG #18034: Accept the spelling "+infinity" in datetime input is not accurate

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: BUG #18034: Accept the spelling "+infinity" in datetime input is not accurate
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Thu, Jul 20, 2023 at 03:25:11PM +0000, PG Bug reporting form wrote:

> Bug reference:      18034
> Logged by:          yanliang lei
> Email address:      msdnchina@163.com
> PostgreSQL version: 16beta2
> Operating system:   RHEL7.9
>
> in the https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/release-16.html, there is a new
> feature :Accept the spelling "+infinity" in datetime input。
> Actually,"in datetime input " is not accurate.
> Actually, in the PostgreSQL 16 beta2 edition, the spelling "+infinity" can
> be used in the following three datatypes:
> 1.timestamp [ (p) ] [ without time zone ]
> 2.timestamp [ (p) ] with time zone
> 3.date
>
> and the spelling "+infinity" can not be used in the   following two
> datatypes:
> 1.time [ (p) ] [ without time zone ]
> 2.time [ (p) ] with time zone
>
> so ,I think that the follow descirtion is accurate:
> Accept the spelling "+infinity" in the following data types:
>       timestamp [ (p) ] [ without time zone ] 、
>       timestamp [ (p) ] with time zone、
>       date datatypes。

We call our timestamp type datetime in some cases, e.g.:

    https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/runtime-config-client.html#RUNTIME-CONFIG-CLIENT-FORMAT

    timezone_abbreviations (string)

        Sets the collection of time zone abbreviations that will be accepted
        by the server for datetime input.

I see it in a few other places.  Should we rename it other places too?
I thought datetime was just a short-hand for our date-time types.