Re: Generating code for query jumbling through gen_node_support.pl

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: Generating code for query jumbling through gen_node_support.pl
Дата
Re: Generating code for query jumbling through gen_node_support.pl  (Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan 30, 2023 at 11:48:45AM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 27.01.23 03:59, Michael Paquier wrote:
>> At the end, that would be unnoticeable for the average user, I guess,
>> but here are the numbers I get on my laptop :)
>
> Personally, I think we do not want the two jumble methods in parallel.
>
> Maybe there are other opinions.

(Thanks Jonathan for the poke.)

Now that we are in mid-beta for 16, it would be a good time to
conclude on this open item:
"Reconsider a utility_query_id GUC to control if query jumbling of
utilities can go through the past string-only mode and the new mode?"

In Postgres ~15, utility commands used a hash of the query string to
compute their query ID.  The current query jumbling code uses a Query
instead, like any other queries.  I have registered this open item as
a self-reminder, mostly in case there would be an argument to have a
GUC where users could switch from one mode to another.  See here as
well for some computation times for each method (table is in ns, wiht
millions of iterations):
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/Y9eeYinDb1AcpWrG@paquier.xyz

I still don't think that we need both methods based on these numbers,
but there may be more opinions about that?  Are people OK if this open
item is discarded?
--
Michael

Вложения