Re: Autogenerate some wait events code and documentation

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: Autogenerate some wait events code and documentation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jul 06, 2023 at 06:19:43PM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
>> So you mean renaming the existing events like WalSenderWaitForWAL to
>> WalSenderWaitForWal?
>
> Yes.
>
>> The impact on existing monitoring queries is not zero because any changes
>> would be silent, and that's the part that worried me the most even if it can
>> remove one column in the txt file.
>
> Then let's just use - or so to indicate the inferred name, with a "string"
> overriding it?

Hmm.  If we go down this road I would make the choice of simplicity
and remove entirely a column, then, generating the snakecase from the
camelcase or vice-versa (say like a $string =~ s/([a-z]+)/$1_/g;),
even if it means having slightly incompatible strings showing to the
users. And I'd rather minimize the number of exceptions we need to
handle in this automation (aka no exception rules for some keywords
like "SSL" or "WAL", etc.).
--
Michael

Вложения