Re: Let's make PostgreSQL multi-threaded

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Let's make PostgreSQL multi-threaded
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jun  8, 2023 at 11:37:00AM +1200, Thomas Munro wrote:
> It's old, but this describes the 4 main models and which well known
> RDBMSes use them in section 2.3:
>
> https://dsf.berkeley.edu/papers/fntdb07-architecture.pdf
>
> TL;DR DB2 is the winner, it can do process-per-connection,
> thread-per-connection, process-pool or thread-pool.
>
> I understand this thread to be about thread-per-connection (= backend,
> session, socket) for now.

I am quite confused that few people seem to care about which model,
processes or threads, is better for Oracle, and how having both methods
available can be a reasonable solution to maintain.  Someone suggested
they abstracted the differences so the maintenance burden was minor, but
that seems very hard to me.

Did these vendors start with processes, add threads, and then find that
threads had downsides so they had to keep both?