Re: BUG #17957: psql-16beta1 \df+ does not show the function body

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: BUG #17957: psql-16beta1 \df+ does not show the function body
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Thu, Jun  1, 2023 at 05:57:19PM +0000, PG Bug reporting form wrote:

> Bug reference:      17957
> Logged by:          Boris Z
> Email address:      bzm@2bz.de
> PostgreSQL version: 16beta1
> Operating system:   OSX, Linux
>
> Hi,
>
> The release notes do not mention \df+.
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/release-16.html#RELEASE-16-PSQL
>
> for testing I used this function, but any user function will do.
>
> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION test_function()
> RETURNS bigint
> AS $$
>     SELECT 1;
> $$ LANGUAGE sql
> STABLE
> PARALLEL SAFE;
>
> When using psql (16beta1)
> =# \df+ test_function
> -[ RECORD 1 ]-------+--------------
> Schema              | public
> Name                | test_function
> Result data type    | bigint
> Argument data types |
> Type                | func
> Volatility          | stable
> Parallel            | safe
> Owner               | bz
> Security            | invoker
> Access privileges   |
> Language            | sql
> Internal name       |
> Description         |
>
> using psql-15.3 it works as expected
> =# \df+ test_function
> -[ RECORD 1 ]-------+--------------
> Schema              | public
> Name                | test_function
> Result data type    | bigint
> Argument data types |
> Type                | func
> Volatility          | stable
> Parallel            | safe
> Owner               | bz
> Security            | invoker
> Access privileges   |
> Language            | sql
> Source code         |              +
>                     |     SELECT 1;+
> Description         |

We had this commit in PG 16:

    Author: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
    2023-03-02 [3dfae91f7] Show "internal name" not "source code" in psql's \df+ co

        Show "internal name" not "source code" in psql's \df+ command.

        Our previous habit of showing the full function body is really
        pretty unfriendly for tabular viewing of functions, and now that
        we have \sf and \ef commands there seems no good reason why \df+
        has to do it.  It still seems to make sense to show prosrc for
        internal and C-language functions, since in those cases prosrc
        is just the C function name; but then let's rename the column to
        "Internal name" which is a more accurate descriptor.

        Isaac Morland

        Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/CAMsGm5eqKc6J1=Lwn=ZONG=6ZDYWRQ4cgZQLqMuZGB1aVt_JBg@mail.gmail.com

I didn't think anyone would mind the change so I didn't document it in
the release notes --- should I?