Re: How to make the generate_series to generate the letter series?

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: How to make the generate_series to generate the letter series?
Дата
Список pgsql-general

generatethe date series.(ref: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/functions-srf.html)

> > That means I can make the generate_series to generate the letter series.
> >
> > So I try this command (I guess I can follow the ascil code rule to complete this work):
> >
> > # SELECT * FROM generate_series('a'::int, 'z'::int, 1);
> >
> > But the postgres reply me a error, because the 'a' can't translate into 'integer' type.
> >
> > Can someone provide me a better solution?
> > Thanks in advance!
>
> SELECT chr(x + 96) FROM generate_series(1, 26) x

A working example is:

    SELECT chr(x + 96) FROM generate_series(1, 26) as f(x);

Here is a blog entry about more complex examples:

    https://momjian.us/main/blogs/pgblog/2012.html#July_24_2012