Re: PG 16 draft release notes ready

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: PG 16 draft release notes ready
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, May 23, 2023 at 09:58:30AM +0700, John Naylor wrote:
> Hi Bruce,
>
> > Add support for SSE2 (Streaming SIMD Extensions 2) vector operations on
> x86-64 architectures (John Naylor)
>
> > Add support for Advanced SIMD (Single Instruction Multiple Data) (NEON)
> instructions on ARM architectures (Nathan Bossart)
>
> Nit: It's a bit odd that SIMD is spelled out in only the Arm entry, and perhaps
> expanding the abbreviations can be left out.

The issue is that x86-64's SSE2 uses an embedded acronym:

    SSE2 (Streaming SIMD Extensions 2)

so technically it is:

    SSE2 (Streaming (Single Instruction Multiple Data) Extensions 2

but embedded acronyms is something I wanted to avoid.  ;-)

> > Allow arrays searches to use vector operations on x86-64 architectures (John
> Naylor)
>
> We can leave out the architecture here (see below). Typo: "array searches"

Both fixed.

> All the above seem appropriate for the "source code" section, but the following
> entries might be better in the "performance" section:
>
> > Allow ASCII string detection to use vector operations on x86-64 architectures
> (John Naylor)
> > Allow JSON string processing to use vector operations on x86-64 architectures
> (John Naylor)
> >
> > ARM?
>
> Arm as well. For anything using 16-byte vectors the two architectures are
> equivalently supported. For all the applications, I would just say "vector" or
> "SIMD".

Okay, I kept "vector".  I don't think moving them into performance makes
sense because there I don't think this would impact user behavior or
choice, and it can't be controlled.

> And here maybe /processing/parsing/.

Done.

> > Allow xid/subxid searches to use vector operations on x86-64 architectures
> (Nathan Bossart)
>
> When moved to the performance section, it would be something like "improve
> scalability when a large number of write transactions are in progress".

Uh, again, see above, this does not impact user behavior or choices.  I
assume this is x86-64-only.

Сообщение: Re: PG 16 draft release notes ready
Сообщение: Re: PG 16 draft release notes ready