Re: PG 16 draft release notes ready

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: PG 16 draft release notes ready
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, May 21, 2023 at 09:30:01PM +0900, Ian Lawrence Barwick wrote:
> 2023年5月19日(金) 5:49 Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>:
> >
> > I have completed the first draft of the PG 16 release notes.  You can
> > see the output here:
> >
> >         https://momjian.us/pgsql_docs/release-16.html
> >
> > I will adjust it to the feedback I receive;  that URL will quickly show
> > all updates.
>
> Hi
>
> Below are a few commits which are not referenced in the current iteration
> of the release notes, but which seem worthy of inclusion.
> Apologies if they have been previously discussed, or I'm overlooking something
> obvious.
>
> d09dbeb9b Speedup hash index builds by skipping needless binary searches
>   "Testing has shown that this can improve hash index build speeds by 5-15%
>    with a unique set of integer values."
>
> e09d7a126 Improve speed of hash index build.
>   "This seems to be good for overall
>   speedup of 5%-9%, depending on the incoming data."

For the above two items, I mention items that would change user behavior
like new features or changes that are significant enough that they would
change user behavior.  For example, if a new join method increases
performance by 5x, that could change user behavior.  Based on the quoted
numbers above, I didn't think "hash now faster" would be appropriate to
mention.  Right?

> 594f8d377 Allow batching of inserts during cross-partition updates.
>   seems reasonable to mention this as it's related to 97da48246, which
>   is mentioned in the notes

I wasn't sure if that was significant, based on the above logic, but
97da48246 has a user API to control it so I mentioned that one.

> 1349d2790 Improve performance of ORDER BY / DISTINCT aggregates
>   This is the basis for da5800d5, which is mentioned in the notes, but AFAICS
>    the latter is an implementation fix for the former (haven't looked
> into either
>    in detail though).

I have added this commit to the existing entry, thanks.

> The following are probably not headline features, but are the kind of
> behavioural
> changes I'd expect to find in the release notes (when, at some point
> in the far and
> distant future, trying to work out when they were introduced when considering
> application compatibility etc.):
>
> 13a185f54 Allow publications with schema and table of the same schema.

This seemed like a rare enough case that I did not add it.

> 2ceea5adb Accept "+infinity" in date and timestamp[tz] input.

I have this but didn't add that commit, added.

> d540a02a7 Display the leader apply worker's PID for parallel apply workers.

Parallelism of apply is a new feature and I don't normally mention
output _additions_ that are related to new features.