Re: PG 16 draft release notes ready

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: PG 16 draft release notes ready
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, May 20, 2023 at 10:37:58AM +0200, Drouvot, Bertrand wrote:
> It's the snapshot of running transactions (aka the xl_running_xacts WAL record) that is used during the
> logical slot creation to determine if the logical decoding find a consistent state to start with.
>
> On a primary this WAL record is being emitted during the logical slot creation, but on a standby
> we can't write WAL records (so we are waiting for the primary to emit it).
>
> Outside of logical slot creation, this WAL record is also emitted during checkpoint or periodically
> by the bgwriter.
>
> What about?
>
> This adds the function pg_log_standby_snapshot() to emit the WAL record that contains the list
> of running transactions.
>
> If the primary is idle, the logical slot creation on a standby can take a while (waiting for this WAL record
> to be replayed to determine if the logical decoding find a consistent state to start with).
>
> In that case, this new function can be used on the primary to speed up the logical slot
> creation on the standby.

Okay, this helps.  I split the entry into two with this text:

    <!--
    Author: Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>
    2023-04-08 [0fdab27ad] Allow logical decoding on standbys
    -->

    <listitem>
    <para>
    Allow logical decoding on standbys (Bertrand Drouvot, Andres Freund, Amit Khandekar)
    </para>
    </listitem>

    <!--
    Author: Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>
    2023-04-08 [0fdab27ad] Allow logical decoding on standbys
    -->

    <listitem>
    <para>
    Add function pg_log_standby_snapshot() to force creation of a WAL snapshot (Bertrand Drouvot)
    </para>

    <para>
    WAL snapshots are required for logical slot creation so this function speeds their creation on standbys.
    </para>
    </listitem>

Сообщение: Re: PG 16 draft release notes ready
Сообщение: Re: PG 16 draft release notes ready