Re: testing dist tarballs

От Christoph Berg
Тема Re: testing dist tarballs
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Re: Andres Freund
> That's due to MAKELEVEL:
>
> submake-generated-headers:
> ifndef NO_GENERATED_HEADERS
> ifeq ($(MAKELEVEL),0)
>     $(MAKE) -C $(top_builddir)/src/backend generated-headers
> endif
> endif
>
> So the distcheck target needs to reset MAKELEVEL=0 - unless somebody has a
> better idea?

Fwiw, I've had that problem as well in the Debian packages where
debian/rules is already a Makefile and calling $(MAKE) from there
trips up that logic. The workaround I used is:

override_dh_auto_build-arch:
        # set MAKELEVEL to 0 to force building submake-generated-headers in src/Makefile.global(.in)
        MAKELEVEL=0 $(MAKE) -C build/src all

override_dh_auto_test-arch:
ifeq (, $(findstring nocheck, $(DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS)))
        # when tests fail, print newest log files
        # initdb doesn't like LANG and LC_ALL to contradict, unset LANG and LC_CTYPE here
        # temp-install wants to be invoked from a top-level make, unset MAKELEVEL here
        # tell pg_upgrade to create its sockets in /tmp to avoid too long paths
        unset LANG LC_CTYPE MAKELEVEL; ulimit -c unlimited; \
        if ! make -C build check-world \
          $(TEMP_CONFIG) \
          PGSOCKETDIR="/tmp" \
          PG_TEST_EXTRA='ssl' \
          PROVE_FLAGS="--verbose"; \

(Just mentioning this, not asking it to be changed.)

Re: Tom Lane
> > First thing I noticed that 'make dist' doesn't work in a vpath, failing in a
> > somewhat obscure way (likely because in a vpath build the the copy from the
> > source dir doesn't include GNUMakefile). Do we expect it to work?
>
> Don't see how it could possibly be useful in a vpath, because you'd have
> the real source files and the generated files in different trees.

I don't think "make dist" is generally expected to work in vpath
builds, that's probably one indirection layer too much. (The "make
distcheck" rule generated by automake tests vpath builds, though.)

Christoph