Re: PostgreSQL Mailing list public archives : search not working ...

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: PostgreSQL Mailing list public archives : search not working ...
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Greetings,

* Imre Samu (pella.samu@gmail.com) wrote:
> Theory: Maybe the search doesn't always work ...

It does ... but perhaps not as expected (or as ideal).

> Is this a known problem?

Yes and no.

> My use case:
> in https://www.postgresql.org/list/  ->  "Search the Archives"
> search for the "large database backup"
> ->
> https://www.postgresql.org/search/?m=1&q=large+database+backup&l=&d=365&s=r
> -> "Your search for large database backup returned no hits."

Note that the default is "within the last year".  That may not be ideal
though and perhaps we should change it.

> But at least one big thread exists:

"big" is perhaps over-stating it, and most of it is actually about ZFS
anyway, though a few of the initial emails on the thread are
informative.

> To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
> Subject: postgres *large database backup*
> Date: 2022-11-30 15:40:23
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CA%2BONtZ7CdiJ2X8x_8sPHR%2Btz-vv7mR1uoDzLia3fzWVZA9k0JQ%40mail.gmail.com
>
> *Changing the "Sort by" ..*

Changing date to 'anytime', sorting by 'date' and using 'database
backup' instead turns this thread up pretty quickly (number 7):

https://www.postgresql.org/search/?m=1&q=database+backup&l=&d=-1&s=d

That said, we should really be including the Subject line in the search
and I don't think we are today (looks like we just search the body).
The code is available for review here:

https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pgarchives.git;a=summary

Patches to improve certainly welcome.

Thanks,