Re: CREATE INDEX USING documentation

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: CREATE INDEX USING documentation
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On Sat, Jan 15, 2022 at 11:01:58PM +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/sql-createindex.html
>
> In the CREATE INDEX
> synopsis(https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-createindex.html), the
> USING method parameter is listed, however in the PARAMETERS section USING is
> never fully described, nor is there a link to the very help 11.2 Index Types
> page (https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/indexes-types.html).

Well, that is certainly odd.  The attached patch adds a description of
the option, and a link to the chapter you suggested.

> On a related note, the CREATE INDEX page provides the following blurb:
>
> "Prior releases of PostgreSQL also had an R-tree index method. This method
> has been removed because it had no significant advantages over the GiST
> method. If USING rtree is specified, CREATE INDEX will interpret it as USING
> gist, to simplify conversion of old databases to GiST."
>
> But there is no such blurb on the 11.2 Index Types page.

We think of backward compatibility stuff as operational, meaning it
appears in the command manual page but not necessarily in the main docs.

  Indecision is a decision.  Inaction is an action.  Mark Batterson

Вложения