Re: First draft of the PG 15 release notes

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: First draft of the PG 15 release notes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jul 11, 2022 at 12:39:23PM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:

> > > Should this be called "cumulative" statistics?  As in b3abca68106d518ce5d3c0d9a1e0ec02a647ceda.
> >
> > Uh, they are counters, which I guess is cummulative, but that doesn't
> > seem very descriptive.  The documentation call it the statistics
> > collector, but I am not sure we even have that anymore with an in-memory
> > implementation.  I am kind of not sure what to call it.
>
> What I was trying to say is that it's now called the cumulative stats system.

It is actually called the "cumulative statistics system", so updated;
patch attached and applied.

> > > "The new function .." (a few times)
> >
> > Uh, I only see it once.
>
> There's still a couple of these without "The".

Ah, found them, fixed.

> > > Should any of these be listed as incompatible changes (some of these I asked
> > > before, but the others are from another list).
>
> > > ccd10a9bfa5 Fix enforcement of PL/pgSQL variable CONSTANT markings (Tom Lane)
> >
> > I didn't see not enforcing constant as an incompatibility, but rather a
> > bug.
>
> Yes it's a bug, but it's going to be seen as a compatibility issue for someone
> whose application breaks.  The same goes for other things I mentioned.

We don't guarantee that the only breakage is listed in the
incompatibilities section, only the most common ones.

> > > 376ce3e404b Prefer $HOME when looking up the current user's home directory.
> >
> > Uh, I didn't think so.
> >
> > > 7844c9918a4 psql: Show all query results by default
> >
> > Same.
> >
> > > 17a856d08be Change aggregated log format of pgbench.
> >
> > We have a pgbench section and I can't see it. I am trying to keep
> > incompatiblities as things related to in-production problems or
> > surprises.
> >
> > > ? 73508475d69 Remove pg_atoi()
> >
> > I don't see who would care except for internals folks.
> >
> > > ? aa64f23b029 Remove MaxBackends variable in favor of GetMaxBackends() function.
> >
> > Same.
> >
> > > ? d816f366bc4 psql: Make SSL info display more compact
> >
> > I did look at that but considered that this wouldn't be something that
> > would break anything.
> >
> > > ? 27b02e070fd pg_upgrade: Don't print progress status when output is not a tty.
> >
> > Same.
> >
> > > ? ab4fd4f868e Remove 'datlastsysoid'.
> >
> > Seemed too internal.
>
> FYI, removal of this column broke a tool one of my coworkers uses (navicat).
> I'm told that the fix will be in navicat v16.1 (but their existing users will
> need to pay to upgrade from v15).

This actually supports my point --- only navicat needs to know about this
renaming, it its users.  Telling navicat users about this change does
not help them.

  Indecision is a decision.  Inaction is an action.  Mark Batterson

Вложения

Сообщение: Re: automatically generating node support functions
Сообщение: Re: automatically generating node support functions