Re: Support for grabbing multiple consecutive values with nextval()

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: Support for grabbing multiple consecutive values with nextval()
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Mar 03, 2022 at 10:21:05AM +0100, Jille Timmermans wrote:
> I'm using https://pkg.go.dev/github.com/jackc/pgx/v4#Conn.CopyFrom, which
> uses the COPY FROM protocol but doesn't actually have to originate from a
> file.

It is Friday here, so I would easily miss something..  It is possible
to use COPY FROM with a list of columns, so assuming that you could
use a default expression with nextval() or just a SERIAL column not
listed in the COPY FROM query to do the job, what do we gain with this
feature?  In which aspect does the preallocation of a range handled
on the client side after being allocated in the backend make things
better?
--
Michael

Вложения