Re: pg_parameter_aclcheck() and trusted extensions

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: pg_parameter_aclcheck() and trusted extensions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jul 07, 2022 at 03:43:03PM -0400, Joe Conway wrote:
> On 7/7/22 15:00, Tom Lane wrote:
>> The aspect that is a bit more debatable is whether to trouble with
>> a set_config_option() wrapper to avoid the API break in v15.
>> I think we'd still be making people deal with an API break in v16,
>> so making them do it this year rather than next doesn't seem like
>> a big deal ... but maybe someone wants to argue it's too late
>> for API breaks in v15?
>
> Well there are other API breaks that affect me in v15, and to be honest I
> have done little except keep an eye out for the ones likely to affect
> extensions I maintain so far, so may as well inflict the pain now as later
> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

With my RMT and hacker hat on, I see no reason to not break ABI or
APIs while we are still in beta, as long as the GA result is as best
as we can make it.  I have not looked at the reasoning behind the
issue, but if you think that this feature will work better in the long
term by having an extra field to track the role OID in one of the GUC
structs or in one of its API arguments, that's fine by me.

If this requires more work, a revert can of course be discussed, but I
am not getting that this is really necessary here.  This would be the
last option to consider.
--
Michael

Вложения