System catalog documentation chapter

От Bruce Momjian
Тема System catalog documentation chapter
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jul  7, 2022 at 09:29:13AM +1000, Peter Smith wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2022 at 10:59 AM Peter Smith <smithpb2250@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Maybe we could make the system views a separate chapter?
> >
> > +1
>
> There has not been any activity on this thread for a while, so I am
> just wondering what I should do next about it:
>
> Are there any other opinions about this?
>
> If there is no interest whatsoever in splitting the existing "System
> Catalogs" into 2 chapters ("System Catalogs" and "System Views") then
> I will abandon the idea.
>
> But if others also feel it might be better to split them, I can put
> patching this on my TODO list and share it sometime later.

Looking at the docs:

    https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/catalogs.html
    https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/views-overview.html

it is clear this needs to be fixed, and I would be glad to do it soon.
I don't need a submitted patch.

My only question is whether we apply this to head, head & PG 15, or all
branches?  I think the URLs will change with this adjustment so we might
want to do only head & PG 15.

There are two reasons this didn't get addressed earlier.  First, I have
been focusing on some larger community issues the past few months, and I
now see people are complaining some of these issues are being ignored
--- I need to refocus on those smaller issues.  Second, the original
email thread had no email subject, which tends to cause it to get
ignored and to sometimes be threaded with other unrelated emails that
also have no subject line.

  Indecision is a decision.  Inaction is an action.  Mark Batterson