Re: [v15 beta] pg_upgrade failed if earlier executed with -c switch

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: [v15 beta] pg_upgrade failed if earlier executed with -c switch
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Jun 04, 2022 at 09:13:46AM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> Maybe that's easy enough to fix just be rearranging verify_directories() or
> make_outputdirs().

For the case, I mentioned, yes.

> But actually it seems annoying to have to remove the failed outputdir.
> It's true that those logs *can* be useful to fix whatever underlying problem,
> but I'm afraid the *requirement* to remove the failed outputdir is a nuisance,
> even outside of check mode.

Well, another error that could happen in the early code paths is
EACCES on a custom socket directory specified, and we'd still face the
same problem on a follow-up restart.  Using a sub-directory structure
as Daniel and Tom mention would address all that (if ignoring EEXIST
for the BASE_OUTPUTDIR), removing any existing content from the base
path when not using --retain.  This comes with the disadvantage of
bloating the disk on repeated errors, but this last bit would not
really be a huge problem, I guess, as it could be more useful to keep
the error information around.
--
Michael

Вложения