Re: Collation version tracking for macOS

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Collation version tracking for macOS
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jun  7, 2022 at 03:43:32PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> writes:
> > On Wed, Jun 8, 2022 at 3:58 AM Rod Taylor <rbt@rbt.ca> wrote:
> >> Is this more involved than creating a list of all valid Unicode characters (~144 thousand), sorting them, then
runningcrc32 over the sorted order to create the "version" for the library/collation pair? Far from free but few
databasesuse more than a couple different collations.

> > Collation rules have multiple levels and all kinds of quirks, so that
> > won't work.
>
> Yeah, and it's exactly at the level of quirks that things are likely
> to change.  Nobody's going to suddenly start sorting B before A.
> They might, say, change their minds about where the digram "cz"
> sorts relative to single letters, in languages where special rules
> for that are a thing.
>
> The idea of fingerprinting a collation's behavior is interesting,
> but I've got doubts about whether we can make a sufficiently thorough
> fingerprint.

Rather than trying to figure out if the collations changed, have we ever
considered checking if index additions and lookups don't match the OS
collation and reporting these errors somehow?

  Indecision is a decision.  Inaction is an action.  Mark Batterson