Re: First draft of the PG 15 release notes

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: First draft of the PG 15 release notes
Дата
Re: First draft of the PG 15 release notes  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, May 12, 2022 at 10:37:56AM +0900, Ian Lawrence Barwick wrote:
> >> Remove exclusive backup mode (David Steele, Nathan Bossart)
> >>
> >> If the database server stops abruptly while in this mode, the server could fail to start.
> >> The non-exclusive backup mode requires a continuous database connection during the backup.
>
> It'd be useful to mention exclusive backup mode has been deprecated since 9.6,
> lest the impression arise that an important-sounding feature has been torn out
> suddenly. Also not sure why we need to mention that non-exclusive backup

Well, the documentation was clear about it being deprecated, so I don't
see a need to mention it in the release notes.

> requires a continuous database connection, AFAIR that was also the case with
> exclusive backups.

Uh, you could do pg_backup_start, disconnect, then pg_backup_stop, no?
I thought the non-exclusive mode required a continuous connection
because it aborts if you disconnect.

> The patch also removed 4 and added 2 new functions, a change which anyone
> maintaining backup utilities would need to be aware of.
>
> Patch attached with suggested changes.

Oh, good points, I had not noticed those renames and removals.  URL
updated with new text.

  Indecision is a decision.  Inaction is an action.  Mark Batterson

Сообщение: Re: First draft of the PG 15 release notes (sorting)
Сообщение: Re: First draft of the PG 15 release notes (sorting)