Re: makefiles writing to $@ should first write to $@.new

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: makefiles writing to $@ should first write to $@.new
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Jan 23, 2022 at 09:23:05PM -0600, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> If the rule is interrupted (due to ^C or ENOSPC), foo can be 0 bytes or
> partially written, but won't be rebuilt until someone runs distclean or debugs
> it and removes the individual file, as I did for errcodes.h.

Honestly, I am not sure that this worth bothering about.  This comes
down to a balance between the code complexity and the likelihood of a
failure, and the odds are not in favor of the later IMO.  Now, it
could be perhaps possible to make such a change simple enough while it
avoids a lot of technical debt, but we have a lot of custom rules
particularly in src/bin/, so changing all that or even require that in
future changes is not really appealing.
--
Michael

Вложения