Re: Is it correct to update db state in control file as "shutting down" during end-of-recovery checkpoint?

От Jaime Casanova
Тема Re: Is it correct to update db state in control file as "shutting down" during end-of-recovery checkpoint?
Дата
Ответ на Re: Is it correct to update db state in control file as "shutting down" during end-of-recovery checkpoint?  (Bharath Rupireddy <bharath.rupireddyforpostgres@gmail.com>)
Ответы Re: Is it correct to update db state in control file as "shutting down" during end-of-recovery checkpoint?  (Bharath Rupireddy <bharath.rupireddyforpostgres@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Dec 09, 2021 at 07:41:52AM +0530, Bharath Rupireddy wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 8, 2021 at 11:02 PM Bossart, Nathan <bossartn@amazon.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 12/8/21, 3:29 AM, "Bharath Rupireddy" <bharath.rupireddyforpostgres@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Thanks for your thoughts. I'm fine either way, hence attaching two
> > > patches here with and I will leave it for the committer 's choice.
> > > 1) v1-0001-Add-DB_IN_END_OF_RECOVERY_CHECKPOINT-state-for-co.patch --
> > > adds new db state DB_IN_END_OF_RECOVERY_CHECKPOINT for control file.
> > > 2) v1-0001-Skip-control-file-db-state-updation-during-end-of.patch --
> > > just skips setting db state to DB_SHUTDOWNING and DB_SHUTDOWNED in
> > > case of end-of-recovery checkpoint so that the state will be
> > > DB_IN_CRASH_RECOVERY which then changes to DB_IN_PRODUCTION.
> >
> > I've bumped this one to ready-for-committer.  For the record, my
> > preference is the second patch (for the reasons discussed upthread).
> > Both patches might benefit from a small comment or two, too.
>
> Thanks. I've added a comment to the patch
> v2-0001-Skip-control-file-db-state-updation-during-end-of.patch. The
> other patch remains the same as the new state
> DB_IN_END_OF_RECOVERY_CHECKPOINT introduced there says it all.

AFAIU is one patch or the other but not both, isn't it?

This habit of putting two conflicting versions of patches on the same
thread causes http://cfbot.cputube.org/ to fail.

Now; I do think that the secondd patch, the one that just skips update
of the state in control file, is the way to go. The other patch adds too
much complexity for a small return.

--
Jaime Casanova
Director de Servicios Profesionales