Re: Atomic rename feature for Windows.

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: Atomic rename feature for Windows.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Dec 09, 2021 at 11:33:17PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> My general approach to platform compatibility is that when we
> break compatibility with old versions of something, we should do so
> because it will bring concrete benefits.  If we can plausibly
> drop support for Windows versions that don't have POSIX rename
> semantics, I'm 100% for that.  I'm not for dropping support for
> some platform just because it's old.

I'd agree with that.  Now, I would also say if we need something that
depends on a newer version of _WIN32_WINNT that proves to be trickier
or even not possible for older versions, there could be an argument
for dropping older versions, even in the back-branches, if the problem
to-be-fixed is bad enough.  In short history, we've never had to go
down to that AFAIK, though.
--
Michael

Вложения